Sunday, June 3, 2012

Miles of Fun








We love where we live. There are so many people constantly walking, biking, running and getting out around here that I've been really inspired to join them. 6 weeks ago I committed to walking. At first it was tricky. I was battling a series of intense injuries and weaknesses since the arrival of Kalani. Walking? It shouldn't have been THAT hard? But it was.

 I have struggled for the last 5 months with weakness, pain, and the loss of control of my body in a way that left me often feeling so helpless and sad. I knew I wanted more children and if I couldn't regain control and become triumphant, I was doing a great disservice to my family and myself. My children are small and active, they need a mom who can keep up with them, not a weak and broken woman who can't play with them. I felt trapped, victimized by my own muscles. I have always had so much physical strength, why was this happening to me!

I started slow. We bought a trampoline. We made custom sized hula-hoops. We walked a mile a day... then two. We fixed our bikes and our strollers up to a fully functioning status. We got OUT. I've lost 10 lbs in this strength commitment, though I'm sure no one but me notices. I just feel better..... I'm even considering a triathlon in the fall. Whoa.

This past week I celebrated our new life changes by walking 4 miles to get some ice cream! The kids loved being able to buy their own little Ben & Jerrys.




It will hurt, at first, but later…And of course - Mommy did not eat all that Rocky Road-ish. I saved it and DADDY ate it while I was at Mom's Night Out. On the other hand, our littles did consume all their ice cream sitting happy in the sunset.

Ah.... Life is GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment