Saturday, June 30, 2012

Good things

Life around here is chugging along. There isn't a moment in my life where someone doesn't need me and sometimes that's a big responsibility that threatens to crush out the ability to stop and enjoy. It's interesting to reflect the moments when I am the busiest are usually the exact moments life tells me to look around and take a deep breathe.

Sunsets around here are stunning. It's amazing to wonder at the glorious world around us and know that it's too beautiful to not marvel at - and it doesn't take a hike, a long car ride, or a trip anywhere to see the beauty. It simply surrounds us here! That is my yard... Yep, it needs mowed. Yes, I would do it if I didn't have to borrow the lawn mower from my other half.... but hey, while it's long, might as well enjoy the pretty gleaming light from it while sitting in the yard :)

This past week I had to mourn the death of the motor in our Kitchen Aid standing mixer. The story of this lovely piece of equipment is fabulous - my mother in law gifted it to us and we have used it at least 3 times a week for 2 years now! Sadly, it does need fixed. But I am crazy and attempting bread by hand. It's a wrist work out for sure!!! I just don't think I can justify organic good fresh bread purchased when I know I can make it myself (and CHEAP). Really.... honey oat whole wheat bread made lovingly by me just warms my soul and I love the patter of little feet as they race to the kitchen screaming "can I have some!?!?"


And our chickens.... I remember as a child visiting Idaho. I would arrive at our great grandparents home and wonder "who the heck would live like this"... Ya know, 4 acres, 25 or so chickens, cattle, a big garden, huge family... Ha. Funny how growing up changed my "wants". My great grandmother loved her chickens, and as a child I was baffled by the idea. I mean, they are just unintelligent strange looking birds that poop, a lot, right? Yes and no. I'm finding every single day I feel more and more like my grandmother Ilene. I wish I could ask her so many questions from day to day. But every once in a while, I feel her presence, or a glimpse of enjoyment in watching our own chickens and I wonder if she was just like me - trying to live the good life and stay present in the moment with her busy happy life.


Yesterday I enjoyed stumbling on a mulberry tree where my husband was working! I have had mulberry jam and pies as a kid, but had actually never seen them growing in the wild before. We busted out the ladder and well.... my hands look a bit painted despite a lot of washing....

But those lovely painted hands picked all these! The kids love the taste of mulberries and to my surprise quickly asked for fresh berry pie. Sounds like our project for after church together tomorrow....

It's actually been a relaxed week. Damon and I saw each other a lot compared to 'typical' weeks these days. Our crew members each took an extra day off this week and we had some stellar times hula hooping, pizza munching, and kicking back together with each other around the fire pit... The kids and I accomplished a great deal of school work and also managed to not kill each other as the daylight keeps them up so late and they get tired or grumpy toward the end.

Happy weekend dear friends!

1 comment:

  1. Just was at the Capitol market - $3.00 for a cup of mulberries.

    Chickens - I have them but have no emotional attachment - they are definitely farm animals to me. Don't use names for them but am not negligent of their needs. They are just there.And egg providers.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete