Thursday, July 23, 2009

Beginning of harvest!



THAT is a lovely snap shot of my garden RIGHT NOW. I'm so very proud of what Damon and I accomplished. We worked hard together and this beautiful little peice of earth is feeding our family!! It started with an idea - we can grow our own organic food cheap! We already water the lawn, and theres no shortage of sun where I live. Then Damon built this beautiful growing wrack for me. Then we planted, babyed, then watched our plants die from a freak spring freeze! We started again. My husband broke up the earth, removed lawn for me. I decided, what the heck, I"ll plant them in the ground ! Look! They turned into FOOD. Its such a gratifying process, to work on something and watch it turn into food for your children. Its peaceful and gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. We currently have Zucchini, Squash, Carrots, Tomoatoes, Green Beans, and Watermelon.
This is a great shot of our watermelon beginning to show! We have about 50 of these *fall over*. I'm going have alot of watermelon to give away.
These are our lovely Zucchini and Summer Squash plants. They are HUGE. Without the area to sprawl with, they grew up instead. So far, I have harvested 12 zucchini.
Heres a picture of my casual daily picking. I am so excited about these, and will be even more excited when they are feeding my family all into the winter too! I'm cleaning, slicing and blanching these - then freezing them. Its such a peaceful process that I am so proud to be able to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment