"A young woman who was very enlightened, and could speak directly to God decided one day to ask God a question. "I want to understand the real difference between Heaven and Hell, please". God replied, "My child, it would be easiest to show you the difference."
Quickly they were in a beautiful room. This room had a huge table with amazing foods. And at first glance, there are people sitting around these huge tables enjoying themselves. But taking a closer look, you realize that all of the people in the room have arms that do not bend. There elbows were locked and they could not reach their own mouths. This room filled with wonderful foods - was a disaster. Because these people could not reach their mouths, they were tossing the food in the air trying to catch it. There was mashed potatoes sticking to the ceiling, prime rib dropping on peoples heads, cream pies flying up and simply falling all over. These people were surrounded by the best foods in the world, and starving. "This must be Hell!" the woman exclaimed to God. With a nod, they left the room and entered into another room.
This room was an exact replica of the first room. The tables were exactly the same, the food was perfect as the first, and the people had locked arms unable to bend them to feed themselves. "But God, I don't understand, if the first room is Hell, this cannot be Heaven! Its exactly the same" the woman exclaimed. "No my child, look closer". Once the woman began to look closer, she began watching the people hug (with straight, non bending arms, they still embraced). And as they shared the meals happily, instead of food flying - she saw them feed each other. Not a person in the room was different from the first group, but these souls were not starving. They learned to help each other, grow stronger as a community of people. They were not limited at all. They were whole together. That was Heaven and the woman understood."
Now of course, I am paraphrasing. Our Rev. said this story so simply and with such a tone that it must has struck me like a fucking ton of bricks. I began realizing that I might have achieved my own "Heaven". How very lucky I feel to be surrounded daily by this insanely miraculous life that I chose. How ever did I get so lucky?
I have the most amazing marriage, that truly encompasses the core of our Rev's story. We lean on each other, not limited by our weaknesses and our faults, but strengthened by the ability to carry each other when we need to. Not fighting our way to how we can do it alone and who is better, but recognizing that we are the best we ever can be together. One beam in a home cannot hold up a whole roof - but two strong walls can hold the roof and fill the home. Its so easy to forget how grateful you are. How very much your soul mate is a lifesaver for you in times of need, but is also the person you want there not just in need, but to laugh and enjoy life with as well.
I am so blessed with my family. Growing up the way I did, I was so bitter at the word "family". Who the hell needed a family when all they did was drink, cheat, beat, lie, and pretend to love. I rejected all things that even came close to the prospect of having a family.... How could I have known that my very family was the essence of my being.
How did I get so lucky? I'm so overwhelmed typing, that I am welling up in tears. My children are such a blessing. How wonderful that I am on this path. Those two little girls have taught me so much about myself, and what innocence is, why its sacred, and I understand my place as their mother.
I think the story at church hit me like a ton of bricks because I understood the sense of community in Heaven. I understood how VITAL that was. I have the most amazing husband, wonderful children, and the best friend anyone could ask for. I have someone to hand me a piece of food if I am crippled.
Wow. What a blessing.
I've heard that story before. It's very touching. How true it is; the difference between heaven and hell can be a simple as how we treat each other!
ReplyDelete