So often we forget to reflect on the simple things in life. I'm so grateful for this time I've spent in Idaho. I don't know if its motherhood, growing into an adult, my spiritual beliefs or simple common sense - but I LOVE NATURE!
Recently I read "Last Child in the Woods" by author Richard Louv. It was a fascinating book that I could relate to directly. He spoke a lot about the wonder you feel as a child when you connect with nature and its therapeutic benefits. I completely agree. I remember as a young child being enthralled with the bushes in our back yard. How fun it was to hide in the roadies and be safe. As I grew older and faced more challenges with my family, nature was my safe haven. There was nothing as calming as sitting by a stream in the dawn or dust when I needed space. It grounded me and kept me sane. This love for water and nature continued into my earliest times out of the house. Living in Seattle brought me so much joy to be among the lush greenery.
Of all my memories with the love for green, how could I be happy in the desert I live in? Nature means something different to me now.
There is so many benefits to all of us to being outside. So here's tribute to my love of nature
Have I mentioned how much I love our back yard? Its amazing. There's 4 big trees that shade it so well, yet provide perfect amounts of sunshine on the other side for our garden!
We assumed this poor rose plant was a goner after last year and Damons mistake of hacking it to death because he thought the poor thing was a weed! But this is a stunning example of how things can reclaim their space among us and grow :)
Thank you Thank you Thank you wonderful husband of mine!! Oh how I adore my clothesline. How in the world does that tie into nature? wind and sun, the simplicity of the clothes blowing in the breeze is just peaceful to me. Its a simple task that is a joyous one. I'm glad to finally have my clothes line back (we had a rockin one at our last place too!!)

Mostly, I love that my children enjoy nature too. I have absolutely no idea how they climbed the tree to reach a branch to pull off. I don't want to know, honestly. I don't want to interrupt their play and wonder with our beautiful yard. Of course, I did eventually talk to them about being kind and not breaking the darn tree next time. But instead of the gut "don't do that!" reaction that would have limited their play, I decided to wait and let them get the branch.
Too often I think parents have to worry about their children too much to let them wonder around outside and be curious and exploring children! I think that's complete shit for childhood. I'm so thankful I live in a wonderful area where my children can go outside without me hovering. They can find their own wonder and fun in natural forms.
One of the things that the book Last Child in the Woods brought to my attention was this: nature can be anything you want it to be. That tree branch in Daunika's hand was not a tree branch at all to her. She and Aurora thought it was a flag, then a fan (maybe an excuse to wave it at each other as they chased each other?) and then it became a 'baby tree' that they tried to plant in the garden.
How joyous of a life is mine that I got to witness happiness today. I know tomorrow will bring the same.
I hope you all can go outside and feel grounded, peaceful and connect with the world around you today :)



No comments:
Post a Comment