Most people who know me know that I can and do share my opinion often and plentiful. Rarely do I find myself with a lack of words or dumbfounded into speechlessness. Today started out completely and totally wrong and left me speechlessness.
I have committed to a better fitness level, overall health and better shape. I recently joined a gym and have been going nearly everyday for a week. I LOVE IT!! When I joined the gym, I also purchased personal training sessions. To me this was critically important in my jump start to a better fitness. I'll readily admit I am not at home at a fitness center, and am very obese. I was absolutely excited to meet with my trainer this morning, and it went horribly wrong.
As we discussed diet and fitness, I was slightly uncomfortable. This was new territory for me and I was scared! None the less, I was really wanted to be committed and learn new skills to help me. One of the 'assessments' was a body fat measurement. They have different machines to pinch and measure body fat, on like 11 places on your body right? So I'm already nervous, and I know I'm fat - I don't need a confirmation! But as she took all my pinch measurements, plugged it into her computer system and came up with a body fat percentage number (heres where it goes horribly and unjustly wrong!)....
She bluntly states "Thats not right, I'm sure your body fat percentage is much higher than that"
Me: Stands there completely and totally dumbfounded and awkward.
She proceeds to remeasure to 'check' again. Then she inputs all the stinking numbers in her effing computer again, viola - damn near the same body fat percentage shows up!
"That just can't be right, thats not that high of body fat"
"Um. Well, I know I'm overweight, but I'm fairly muscular underneath it. I used to be in great shape and always have had good muscle tone. I was pretty solid before"
"Yea, but I know you're more body fat than what this is telling me, its just not possible, you can't have that much muscle. I'll measure again"
And sure enough, she did. I was so caught off guard by her completely and totally unprofessional mannerism that I had no idea what to do but stand there! In the end, all the 'tests' and measurements showed the same damn thing the first test did and she just shrugged. For fucks sake.
Are you kidding me? Do you realize its 630 in the morning, I'm scared, new, and over weight and you're telling me despite my last clinging hope of at least not being too fat that you're tiny fitness instructor body is certain the tests are wrong and I can't possibly have that much muscle if I wasn't actively working on it.
Seriously. I walked out and cried. I came home to a crying hungry baby and just felt miserable. After some thought, I decided it was not right, nor just, and I was calling to complain. I spoke to the fitness director for the entire gym at length and have a new trainer planned for Thursday. I explained that the unprofessional behavior was absolutely unacceptable and I was completely and totally caught off guard.
I hate today so far. I'm going to hide in a fucking closet the rest of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment