We looked like idiots... I'm sure of it.
Two grown adults, standing in the middle of our yard, staring at what we thought was our irrigation.
Yes, we are sure this is is... but why doesn't it work?!
This knob is new, this valve seems to turn nicely....
Nothing.
Nada.
Weeks go by, nothing. nada.
And then.... my genius husband did it!
That right there folks is the pictures of victory. We really DID look like idiots, and we (cough, er, my husband) really did figure it out! HA! Why is this so important? Well, it is right next to this :
That is our garden space.... Yes, it's just a giant field of weeds, but in a way I cannot even begin to describe, this land is exactly what my soul needs. It cannot disappear, it cannot speed by, it cannot do anything but keep me in this moment, living my values as very best I know how to. This land is teaching me something I don't know how to do on my own... Just be. To work side by side with our children, to give back and use this earth for more than just a patch of grass...
This land that we have settled on for this time is full of wonder! Check out the chickens... I mean, c'mon, to a city kid - this is COOL!
Those are our newest ladies.... We loved our first 10 chickens so much, we decided to get 15 more. I'm really a kid in a candy store. Or a busy woman just trying to stay present!
Our older ladies are awesome and getting really close to full grown.....
There's more....... Our kids worked super hard to earn money. With that money, they purchased this:
That's Russia. He's nifty. It's amazing how much you don't realize can distract you.... I have looked deeply at our lives to reflect and I'm so very thankful. I'm beginning to look at each and every joy as such a beautiful living act of God's mercy and love for us. It's indescribable.
Every window of our home is filling up with glorious food bearing plants. This is just the beginning. That garden field is dated to be tilled up this coming week - a whole 150' x 60' of pure, gorgeous land. I hope I can learn what is needed to learn to feed my family from the land completely.
This week I committed to do nothing more than be in this space. Each moment, to listen deeply for what to do, where to go, what to learn. And let me tell you, it's harder than it looks! To refuse to be knocked down, to be stomped or diminished by those things you have no control over. To jump off the cliff and know you'll fly or die - but staying on the edge isn't going to cut it any more.
It's been a good week. Damon, my city-grown husband, is neck deep in a new remodel, several sprinkler installs, and in his free time - I have a honey-do-list a mile long for this land I want to cultivate.. The kids and I committed to jump off the edge and reach out to our community with a prayer and a heart - and we went to church at our local ward. I was absolutely stone cold terrified, but we survived and they loved it!
It's already a new week and while I sit here I am overwhelmed with all I have to be thankful for in my new 'farmer' life.
No comments:
Post a Comment