Saturday, November 19, 2011

One foot in front of the other



I really connected with the statement on this image above. Courage. What does it mean to be courageous? We all have probably felt it in our own way - defined by what we would take and what we would advocate for. Well, must you always yell and scream and advocate at the top of your lungs to be courageous?

I think not. 

It really is OK to admit "Today sucked, but I'm going to bed and I'll start over tomorrow". It has taken me years to realize that we're allowed to have really really shitty days and it's of no reflection of anything but life just is a series of events that we learn through, connect through, accept, experience and enjoy. Does it mean after a good cry and a look at the 3 am clock that you have neccesarily enjoyed the process of greiving the days mistakes, evaluating what could we have changed, what will be do better that you just don't wonder why the hell you're on a hamster wheel some days? Nope. In fact, I think sometimes you have to see the same wheel in front of you for awhile before you realize you're ready to get off and start really exploring. That is OK!

So, here's to being gentle with myself, forgiveness and acceptance. I am imperfect. I had a big fight with my husband and I felt completely vulnerable. I stayed up until almost 4 am without sleep because I felt the need to evaluate every step of everything - and at the end, I realized that replaying everything in my head that happen or was said was just dumb. Mistakes are made. And - as I lay down, I got a nice smile of the laugh is meant to be shared with others.

Even when you feel critical, down and overwhelmed - lighten up. Those around you love you still, and the journey of being imperfectly perfect is worth it!

And I'm ok with laughing at it in 10 years, 10 minutes, later from now and know that the real courage IS waking up the next day and looking over with a whole heart and giving it all over again because it's worth it.

I feel courageous today. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment