"I bet you're ready to be done"
That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. I mean honestly people - Why do random strangers, distantly related people and well meaning friends all need to say this? Here's the news flash - Guess what? No. I'm not ready to be done. I am fricking loving my pregnancy. I'm absolutely and brilliantly happy. Why in the hell would I want to be done? Yes, I understand at the end of this rainbow is my absolutely stunning newborn and that's something wonderful to look forward to daily - but please do not assume to know me or my personal beliefs on being 'done' or not. I'm absolutely joyous to still be pregnant. I'm not spending all day bitching my brains out or ready to whine at the drop of a hat. I'm happy. Please, for the sake of all pregnant holy things, try to share in the happiness instead of looking at me as if I'm in some state that needs pity. Remember that this is my body and your personal experience is not reflective of my own in any way. Just because you might be miserable or so ready to shorten pregnancy does not mean I am. I have just a few short days until my 'due date' and guess what? I could give a shit less about that date. It is arbitrary and meaningless at this point.
"You know what causes that right"
Now, I may not have had the best childhood in the world but even I know that this is impolite and improper, especially coming from random cashiers and people who think they might need to lighten the situation somehow? News flash - Of course I know what causes it. Would you like the details? I didn't think so. It boils down to the most amazing and happy marriage and our personal desires to grow our family. I have literally started answering this question with "Yes, I know what causes it. Happy marriages. You should see the smile on my husbands face"... It's like a sure bet way to shut up strangers.
"Wow, you have your hands full"
I don't think my hands are full. I think my home is growing, and sometimes status quo is a busy, crazy, hectic, amazingly trying experience but with this question are we implying that our hands should be empty and our souls idle? Or is it something deeper? Are we implying that some how by giving yourself in such dedication as motherhood that our personal cups are depleted and lacking? Again, dear strangers and random acquaintances, I really don't care that you felt chaos at 2 children. I don't think your personal experience is a translation for how I must be doing. And furthermore, Why would idleness or life less busy with family be the goal? Do you know how amazing our children are? Have you sat near them and watched their wonder and marvel with their worlds? I promise you, I understand how children are made and we are adding to our family as a conscious choice to grow our family and fill our lives further with the most important of our values. I would always rather my hands, home and heart be full than empty. Who wouldn't?
The moral of the story?
Yes, I'm pregnant. No, I don't plan on shouting it from the rooftops when I'm in labor or even immediately after our baby is born. This is a deeply personal and exclusively family event. Being related distantly to us does not instantly make you family. Please refrain from your comments on what you think my personal status is regarding being done or not. Few of you can understand the joy I take every single day knowing my child is safe and perfect inside of me - I am not at all concerned with any ones schedule or agenda but this baby. I deeply, passionately and genuinely trust my body, my baby, my birthing schedule to something far higher and more intimate than can simply be conveyed on a blog. I promise you that I am absolutely healthy and happy. You're comments about 'another big baby' and 'wow your belly got huge' is offensive, hurtful and disrespectful to the core. This is a highly impressionable time during my pregnancy, I ask you to kindly shut up. I really am exactly perfect as is - no altering needed or agendas enforced.
AMEN SISTA! I want to post this to my blog and at the library. I had a patron they other day ask me when my due date was. I told her May 28th and she goes to say "My what a big baby you are having" I was like seriously? I am 5 months pregnant...my baby is exactly as big as he needs to be...WTF? Thanks for calling me a cow! I swear....thank goodness, like you, I am happy and secure with my body and my baby. I have never felt better in my life and other then a dying need to see my little man I am happy to carry him for as long as it takes. Period.
ReplyDelete