Have you ever pondered what draws us to nourish the soul with food? Think about our greatest times of need - a funeral for a lost loved one, a baby just born to a busy family, a loved one who broke an arm or leg and could use a bit of help. Every time I think about helping someone I almost always reflect upon my culinary skills. What could I bring to share some comfort, nourishment and help?
Kalani is two weeks old and I cannot say it's been either a difficult or an easy transition. It's a giant war. Some things have been so easy it's almost unnoticed. Other things have been like a bomb went off and we're picking up the pieces. She is an amazing baby that is so mellow and loving. Our older children are completely smitten with her without a lick of jealousy and I am falling in love with them so much daily. But let's face it - running around after a 5 year old, 3 year old and 1 year old is work. Couple that with non-stop nursing sessions in the middle of the night and this mama is exhausted! Oh, did I mention I haven't seen my darling husband but a few short hours since she was born? I miss that man dearly.
Not that I am complaining. Please don't mistake my weariness for lack of gratitude or joy. I am bursting with the pleasure of being a mother, wife, friend and so much more. But sometimes when I get a silent moment these days, I wonder if I can accomplish everything on my short list and when in the world I'll ever get back to my long list of things to do.
Over the last 7 years in Idaho, I have built myself some amazing friendships. I have found women and men in our community that inspire me to do better, be stronger, look at the world differently and give more. I am blessed and hope that I have blessed others with my presence in their lives and the friendship I share. Kalani is our 4th little one to welcome to our family - but the first one that I have had such a community of people to share the experience with. My own personal family is rather small, consisting of my 2 younger siblings (1 of which is in another state), my mom and a scattering of distant relatives that cannot and should not even be counted. My husbands family is even more distant than my own - both literally and their lack of knowing our family.
You can imagine that relying of people in times of great need would be difficult when you would assume the first people to turn to would be your family. Well, I woke up today realizing my family is not small at all. In fact, it's huge. I could indeed call people in times of need. I had 'family members' that I could ask them for advice or cry on their shoulder. I had family who gave their love by bringing over a meal when my day is full and we'd probably live on cold cereal.
I'm amazed to report - not a single cold cereal bowl has been served once since Kalani was born. My children have been blessed by our amazing family in this community with delicious meals and it's inspired me to commit to cooking more and giving them more. We've had 10 different quiches because my girls informed me it was the best way to eat any veggie (and really, what mother doesn't love hearing that her kids want MORE veggies?!). We've tasted yummy home made meals that I'm dying to find the recipes to and had some quick and easy meals that saved my sanity.
I'm so interested in what draws our souls to give food. Is it a basic human need that we recognize and want to share? Or is there just a little piece of magic that comes into play when you cook a meal with the best of intention and want to share it with love? What compelled me to drive over an hour away to give a meal to a family of 10 that I had never met in their time of need when a child had passed away? What calls a family to run to the kitchen when the fresh bread comes out of the oven? Why is it a cup of tea from a friends kitchen soothes the wounds quickly?
I am so blessed and so thankful for the women that have supported me during this time of transition for our family and fully commit to giving back as often as I can.
Thank you dear friends. Thank you dear family.
No comments:
Post a Comment