Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Our home and hearts grew today.


Who says new things can’t happen with each baby? This baby already started out different. A surprise pregnancy, making the choice not to find out the gender, and birthing at home with new midwives all were new to us. It was a fantastic pregnancy. I felt fit, healthy and vibrant most of the time. I was happy to carry my baby to term and then deeply trust my body to do what it was made to do.

On December 13th I awoke at 1 am to a startling contraction. It was very intense and I could do nothing but breathe through it. This was the beginning of a new pattern for me. From 1-4 am I had contractions that awoke me suddenly about every 10 minutes. I trusted that if it was ‘real’ labor that I would not be able to go back to sleep soon enough. But alas, I woke up again at 8 am to find not much going on.

This was a first for me. I had never had warm up labor that wasn’t ‘real’ labor. So I was trying to be at peace. I had a midwifery appt at 11 am, uneventful. Told them about my body beginning to change and we all agreed baby was coming within the next couple days. Blood pressure was fabulous, baby was very low in my pelvis (external palpitation),  and baby sounded wonderful. I was having contractions every 10-15 minutes apart and very intense but no cause for concern. I was happy with them.

I ran some errands and scared a lady at REI when she asked if I was ok and I responded “Sure, just in early labor”. Very funny. I spent the rest of my day with my best friend at her house knitting and relaxing. In truth, I was tired! We celebrated her husbands birthday and had dinner. Around 7 pm things began to get closer. By 930 when I was leaving for home with my husband and kids, I could no longer ignore the fact I was in labor. Every 5-6 minutes contractions came. Some with great intensity and others just lingered like tension.

I was happy, my husband and children were all nearby and I knew I was ready. We put our children to sleep and they crashed immediately. My darling husband helped me clean house and putter. It was so NICE to have things to do during labor. Distractions are aplenty in our home. Around 11 we called my best friend to join us. She went to ‘work’ with us puttering around my house with me and my hubby. By midnight it was clear I was less interested in folding kitchen towels and was ready to call my midwives to join us. Brittany and Violet were our fantastic team that arrived.

I labored briefly in our bathtub as things began to get lower and in my tailbone and hips. I got very grumpy during contractions but felt so loved, safe and in control in between. I wanted out of the tub and moved to our bedroom. I labored a bit on my toilet, then on my hands and knees. My husband never left my side and my best friend captured these beautiful moments for me all on video.

About the time I was really done – I really was done! I got up on the birth stool with the help my husband and Brittany, a few short self controlled pushes later our baby girl entered the world. My husband reminded me to let my body do it and amazingly it was SO fast!! She slipped out with controlled nudges that I let my body just take over and do. It was a freeing feeling and I leaned in to my husband for comfort and strength to just breathe.

Daunika joined us quickly after our little one arrived and we had yet to find out what our baby was! After delivering my placenta, we moved to the bed and rested. Daunika was waking up and adjusting to the little tiny squishy newborn making noise on me! She was the first to look if it was a boy or girl. She wasn’t quite awake and together her and I announced that our baby was a GIRL! Daunika placed the white and pink hat I knit on top of our little one and we all admired her.

Declan woke up and Damon grabbed Aurora too. We celebrated or ‘toasted’ in our newborn with hot coffee/hot cocoa for everyone as each of us just marveled at our fantastic addition. Her newborn check revealed she was absolutely perfect weighing in at 8 lbs and 8 oz and was a long 22 inches of perfection. She has some dark hair and the most beautiful round face. We all agree, this one looks more like me than the others! She was born at 3:08 am on December 14th, 2011. 

We tucked into bed about 430. Declan and Damon, me and our littlest addition all in bed and our beautiful older daughters all curled up with their bedding on our floor. It was so nice to feel everyone so close and secure. Home birthing was the best choice we ever made. It matched our needs and wants perfectly. 

Here's a peak into our journey in the wee hours:

This is our last pregnancy photo. I am 40 weeks + 6 days here. Photos taken just after midnight on the 14th. 

Early transition in our tub. Damon never left my side. I felt so loved. 

We started this together and got through it together. 

Daunika joining us to announce it's a baby girl and adding the pink brimmed hat!
Declan meeting his younger sibling for the first time. 
I am the mother of these FOUR amazing children. Wow. 
This is our first family photo of the SIX OF US!!! Oh I just love it. Love love love. 

Ahhh.... this has really been a perfect addition. 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That was a beautiful birth story and I'm glad you had a nice delivery. She's perfectly beautiful. Have you settled on a name for her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I am just reading your birth story now, a little over a month later! I love it and am so grateful that you share your wonderful journey with the world. I too love the photo of the six of you! Welcome little one!

    ReplyDelete