Do you remember your first love?
I do.
I plainly and simply remember that moment when I realized "this is mine forever, and it's magical and amazing". Of course, I was 6 years old and had just gotten a library card . I had learned to read and as my 'prize' from my grandmother, I got a library card. I'm pretty sure I lost it within a week because I don't ever remember seeing that yellow plastic card again.... what I didn't lose was far more amazing though. I never lost the love of books. (of course, my later loves are fun and whimsical like music and yoga, and I'll never discredit the true loves of my husband and my children - but this is a damn close second!!)
Just as I model the love I have for my husband and each and every one of my children - I model the love of books in my home. I am the driving force of buying books, reading books and constant library trips. While I wont always say it's easy. There are days that I leave the library in near tears. Picture it - pregnant lady with 3 young children and two loaded bags of books. As she tries to check out, she hears "mom, give me back my books, I really want to READ IT BEFORE WE GET HOME" at the top of my 3 year olds lungs, my 5 year olds busy trying to drag my 17 month old back down the stairs that he is thrilled to climb at any cost, and the lady at the desk reminds me that I owe the library at whole 1.50 in late fees.
Yes, even despite the countless books I have re-shelved because of tiny hands that yank them down over and over, the tears from me saying "no you can't have more than 30 books today, I'm serious!", the occasional damaged book or the one that some how gets eaten by the house and you pay for it despite knowing your children really didn't like that book at all.... Despite everything, I have managed to continue this ritual and have created children that simply adore books. If I could give them a passion - it would be an appetite for learning always. If I can kindle this little flame in any way, I surely will... and I do.
2 weeks ago Daunika asked me "Mom, what is upstairs?". Great question! So we spent over 45 minutes simply exploring. We rode the elevator up to floor 3, then walked down to floor two. We stopped and looked at countless books and talked to 7 librarians along the way. It really was great to witness my children so clearly confident and in their element (especially Daunika!!). They love books and where the books are, they are at home. Daunika found an encyclopedia of Butterflys. This was not in the childrens sections and not at all a small book. This was a heavy, adult book. She was simply amazed and carried it around for days. She even slept with it.
Today was no different - the first place they wanted to go was upstairs. Of course I let them and encourage it. Why should they be limited to children's books? Today Daunika went straight to the second floor and to the butterfly section. She wanted another book on butterflys. I admit, they are COOL books. So many lovely pictures and so much information to help her read through. This week, Aurora picked a book on Yoga. She seriously loves yoga and one about deer and I think she feels very proud to be able to pick 'Mommy Books" too.
We hit the kid section and 36 books later, I was pretty tired! But I did manage to snap some great pictures of our littles today. I brought my camera because I wanted to capture the moments that really make up our life, even if it's moose sitting on a table instead of reading!
Yes, that is our great Moose thinking that it is acceptable to climb on the table. Like I said, not perfect library times, but effective book lover time overall!!
Aurora hasn't shown a lot of interest in puzzles but today she shocked me and sat down and did a lot of puzzles!
Our book worm <3
I hope everyone finds that hunger for knowledge and the love of books.
It really is a deep love affair of a life time.

we adore books too. i mean seriously, have you seen our home? we are drowning in them! <3 and harper loves those llama, llama books. he has memorized them and reads them to me and luca now :) so sweet.
ReplyDelete