"What do you need?"
Let me tell you what immediately came to mind.... A whole case of tequila and a one-way ticket to Mexico. I'm not even kidding. I wanted to run far, far away and forget this crazy life. That was for about 3 minutes. Then I took him seriously - what DID I need? Ha. That took longer to figure out.
I decided not to answer for a couple days. I wasn't sure what I needed, I only knew what I didn't need (the unexpected). I pondered what could I possibly ask for that would make this better for me. I was wallowing in self pity. Then I had a gorgeous day at the park with my kids. And guess what? The next day was equally beautiful and I took my babies to the park again. And the day after that! Another sunshine and breezy perfect day, an afternoon walk to the park. During these walks, I realized what I needed was perspective. When my life starts to feel out of control, I do not find it helpful to pick apart the out-of-control moments. I feel deep gratitude for not feeling forced in any direction, but enough time to ponder and take stock of my own life.
So, in my effort to define what I need during this unexpected time in my life, I've come to realize, I want to focus on things going stellar right now. One of those things? Home schooling my babies. I have no great explanation for why it's going so well. I'm not great at planning things. I forget that I am suppose to take the kids somewhere for a class, a group, whatever. I'm disorganized and chaotic usually. But ya know what? I really really love watching my children come alive when they learn!
There is nothing more incredible than watching them fall in love with the world around them and pick up their passions. I am simply one mentor along the way. I consider my time with them sacred and I want them to have the very best opportunities! Sometimes that means trying a sport and deciding you hate it. Sometimes, that means rearranging my work schedules and honoring my time commitments to my little people - this came up for me recently!
Oh man was it hard! I was invited by someone who truly inspires me to attend a trial run of a class/thought provoking speech she's going to share with some people who matter - and I really wanted to soak up all the goodness I could from her. But I also promised my children I would be home by 1 pm for us to do a science experiment..... 10 am.... 11 am... 12 pm... 1201... 1202... before I knew it, it was 12:25 and I had to wrestle with my desires - to continue to listen to this inspiring woman or pick up and go BE that inspiring woman for some really cool little people in my home.
I went home. It was the right thing to do and I'm so glad I did. We had a blast with our VERY messy expirement. I don't know what I missed and of course, I'm human so I'm sad I missed something but I honor my time and guard it wisely - that includes sometimes walking out of meetings to go be a mentor.
Here's a sneak peek into our typical week.... Though, in true Huberty fashion, no two days ever look exactly the same.
I decided not to answer for a couple days. I wasn't sure what I needed, I only knew what I didn't need (the unexpected). I pondered what could I possibly ask for that would make this better for me. I was wallowing in self pity. Then I had a gorgeous day at the park with my kids. And guess what? The next day was equally beautiful and I took my babies to the park again. And the day after that! Another sunshine and breezy perfect day, an afternoon walk to the park. During these walks, I realized what I needed was perspective. When my life starts to feel out of control, I do not find it helpful to pick apart the out-of-control moments. I feel deep gratitude for not feeling forced in any direction, but enough time to ponder and take stock of my own life.
So, in my effort to define what I need during this unexpected time in my life, I've come to realize, I want to focus on things going stellar right now. One of those things? Home schooling my babies. I have no great explanation for why it's going so well. I'm not great at planning things. I forget that I am suppose to take the kids somewhere for a class, a group, whatever. I'm disorganized and chaotic usually. But ya know what? I really really love watching my children come alive when they learn!
There is nothing more incredible than watching them fall in love with the world around them and pick up their passions. I am simply one mentor along the way. I consider my time with them sacred and I want them to have the very best opportunities! Sometimes that means trying a sport and deciding you hate it. Sometimes, that means rearranging my work schedules and honoring my time commitments to my little people - this came up for me recently!
Oh man was it hard! I was invited by someone who truly inspires me to attend a trial run of a class/thought provoking speech she's going to share with some people who matter - and I really wanted to soak up all the goodness I could from her. But I also promised my children I would be home by 1 pm for us to do a science experiment..... 10 am.... 11 am... 12 pm... 1201... 1202... before I knew it, it was 12:25 and I had to wrestle with my desires - to continue to listen to this inspiring woman or pick up and go BE that inspiring woman for some really cool little people in my home.
I went home. It was the right thing to do and I'm so glad I did. We had a blast with our VERY messy expirement. I don't know what I missed and of course, I'm human so I'm sad I missed something but I honor my time and guard it wisely - that includes sometimes walking out of meetings to go be a mentor.
Here's a sneak peek into our typical week.... Though, in true Huberty fashion, no two days ever look exactly the same.
We play a LOT of board games. This is Scrambled States of America. Why choose a boring textbook when board games do the same thing? I'm amazed at how fast my kids retain information when winning is on the line. They must get that competitive streak from me!
This is a list. A printed list. This photo is proof I'm willing to step outside of MY comfort zone to honor the needs of the many personalities of my children. I'm not a list maker. I tend to feel creativity is stifled and I feel oppression from lists. But a couple of my children adore list making. For them, it is structured and safe feeling. So, for a couple months I warred with what list making would look like in our home. So, with a bit of inspiration from a friend recently, we found a common ground. Enough list for productivity and not too much that I feel it stifles creativity.
This sweet child of mine is the one who loves lists. Not like a little adoration, but a big ol' love affair. She has countless lists. She's planning a vacation for five years from now. She is something else, I tell ya. I am really proud of her for speaking up and nurturing her list making habit into her school work. She loves schedules, outlines, and expectations in line with reality. Change is sometimes hard for her but when she is an active participant in growing something important to her - she embraces it with an assertiveness that I really adore.
Our love of words continues. The dictionary is such a lovely companion for any day of the week.
Philosophically - I'm pretty play-based-learning for my younger kids. I couldn't imagine a workbook in sight for these young years. But what DO I do for learning activities with them? Well, PLAY OF COURSE! If you can play a game to learn it, we're on it! Kalani loves these massive playing cards. She has learned to count comfortably without ever thinking about it.
And how do I teach her colors? And what is left and right?
TWISTER.
TWISTER.
Now, I have a confession. I really love playing games with my kids - but playing the full version of monopoly with these two is the slowest process in the world. They want to sound out the words, they want to count incorrectly money to me, and generally do it all themselves. It's painful folks. Somehow, we are getting through it and they want to play it daily. Oye.
I much prefer to play this one with our big kids, but we'll keep chugging through because someday these little people will turn into big people who surprise me!
I much prefer to play this one with our big kids, but we'll keep chugging through because someday these little people will turn into big people who surprise me!
So, what do we do when we're not playing? There is room in our lives for textbooks. And workbooks. And science experiments. And book clubs and choir practice and violin practice and enough reading to shame a whole library full of readers.
I have no plan. None what so ever because it's me - and I wing it y'all. But in the absence of planning, I'm just following their amazing brains and getting out of the way to let them really spread wings to fly.
I have no plan. None what so ever because it's me - and I wing it y'all. But in the absence of planning, I'm just following their amazing brains and getting out of the way to let them really spread wings to fly.








No comments:
Post a Comment