Thursday, June 19, 2014

Rule of new home ownership: Something must break.

People have told us countless times how wonderful it is that we were able to purchase a house that we lived in because we knew so much more about the house than buying something unknown. I can really see how this is true - but let me assure you, when the house you buy in 70 years old, you can't truly know everything about it and what you do know might scare the crap out of you because it's a list you have to fix that's a mile long! Alas, despite the huge list, we LOVE home ownership. It feel so amazing. But there must be some unspoken rule - when you buy a house, something must break.

In our case, our running water decided to take a hiatus. Now, as known by my previous blog post, I do very well with "roughing it" with camping and no running water.... but when you go camping, you're in the mentality of no running water. When your at home, you unconsciously use water all day. A quick wash of the hands, a cup of water for the kiddo, measuring water for cooking, etc. Things like flushing toilets and running the washing machine even. There is also a rule that follows Damon and me - If it's going to break, it's on a Sunday when things are closed. Of course, is there any other way?!

So first we dug up one hole.. 

Then another, but this one had concrete over it.... 

Thank you awesomely strong and sexy husband. I know it was Fathers Day, I know you had just came home from work and had hours more work to do, I know I couldn't help dig much because I'm trying not to further hurt myself in this pregnancy... but seriously, you rock. Thank you. 

As if the dirt & concrete wasn't enough in the way... 
Yes, those are roots from our walnut tree. 

At last, we got where we needed to be! 
This space takes our well water from 3 in pipe to 1 1/2 and 1 I believe. I forget. Basically, this is the space that we believed something got stuck inside the pipe.... And yes, it's in the goat pen so the goats had to full investigate the whole time!

OOOooo.... I didn't tell the great story of a week ago, some small boy in my home that is adorable and naturally curious but guilty in this case so shall remained unnamed (ha! our only boy. LOL).... I caught him placing his whole arm in the well pipe (3 inches around) and he was letting sticks and twigs go and watching them float out. ACK! I wasn't mad, I just explained that if something got stuck in the well that we would lose our water..... surprise surprise, 8 days later, we have no water. I asked him if he knew what happen and the sweetest smart kid said he thought something must have been stuck that didn't float. I asked him if he dropped rocks in the well and he stone faced said "no, but I think those wouldn't float". LOL 

We blew out the system and got to this point....
Running water that barely made it through... something was still stuck. 

I just happened to be at the park and someone from church was there. I was talking about my lack of water and venting. I guess I knew in the back of my mind that her husband was a plumber but I'm incredibly stubborn and usually will kill myself before asking for help.... But help arrived later Monday evening. 

He and Damon talked through options, a pipe was cut, shop vac, wire scraped around, and viola - WATER. Decreased flow still but way better. 

And as a side note, these man folk have some serious amount of TOOLS. Who knew life took so many tools?!

I hear it's on the agenda to completely replace the small pipe with a big new pipe in this section in about a week. 

We're never truly "without water" because our well is free flowing, needing no electricity or devices to give us water. We open a valve and it's pure, clean, wonderful water flowing for us to enjoy. It's just the part that was pressurized for home use that was cut off. Lots of buckets of water were carried..... 

In case you were wondering, during this experience, I had not just our 4 children but 3 extra kids to care for. That's 9 people to flush toilets for, to wash dishes for. I also had a lot of laundry that needed done! One kiddo was out of the essentials - underwear. So yes, I hauled water for washing machine usage too. I learned it takes 7 trips with a 5 gallon bucket to fill the washer with water and you need 7 more for the rinse cycle. Surprisingly, I accomplished 4 loads of laundry!! Each bucket weighs about 35-40 lbs. I don't want to total that up but let me tell you, I am so incredibly thankful that my body is strong enough to accomplish the hard things in life that might come up. There is so much I could be limited to and I'm not. Even pregnant, I had to be very careful with my steps and how I lifted that many buckets but I did it. I do feel a sense of gratitude and pride for this body of mine. It doesn't fail me <3

I'm also so humbled by the strength and intelligence of my husband and deeply grateful for the friend who came to help. 

I must say, that shower Tuesday morning with hot, running water... Amazing. 
Seriously, go hug your water heater and your facet. It's a treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment