Saturday, June 7, 2014

Camping Season!

Camping season is on full-swing here and for once in the past several years, I'm not on call! This was an instant reason to load up and head to the mountains. My husband is flooded in work but that didn't stop us. Yes, entering my third trimester, I loaded my gear, kids and pregnant self into our suburban and headed to the mountains. I've determined that camping is not a once-in-awhile kind of activity. I can understand how people find it intimidating but when you use your gear often and know what you are doing, it's so easy. I'm so thankful to have cultivated some skills that allow me to pick up and go with the kids.

 I saw a saying recently that said something like "Children don't remember the best day of TV". It really inspired me. This has been a harder pregnancy on me. Mentally, emotionally, physically. I've had to slow way down and it's impacted my family in ways I don't love. Finally, I've felt better with more energy the last month. I've accomplished a reasonable amount around the house and felt like my days were numbered with this great feeling so I knew I needed to get out with the kids. 


I've camped often and I know the weekends are NUTS. So, if my husband can't go weekends or weekdays, why in the world would I go when it's crazy busy? We loaded our car Sunday evening and Monday morning and were at our campsite by 3 pm Monday. It was nearly silent. I saw less than a handful of campers for the first two days! 

Once we got all unpacked and "camp set up", we had to tackle how we were going to cook - OVER FIRE. Well, originally my intention was to load wood to take with me but somehow I forgot that detail and so we went on an adventure with nothing more than a tiny hatchet. Remind me next time to bring a full size ax and wood saw. 

Fear not, I kicked this adventures ass and found plenty of wood! 


Our camp site:

We tucked our tent in a private little shady area.

Yep, that's enough wood for us. 

This is a MUST-HAVE for camping with children. We were next to a very nice creek and it wasn't long before every piece of Lani's clothing I packed were on this line drying at one point. 

Another one of those "life-hacks" that is a complete sanity saver for me is the "kid-tent". Our main tent is a sleep and rest tent. If you need to read a book in peace away from your little siblings, go lay down. But by not allowing any toys in the main tent we keep it cleaner. We keep our sleeping bags, pillows, bags with clothes but that's basically it. 

Our adventures in camping included finding a tiny waterfall to play in, "climbing the mountains", swimming, reading, and so much free time. Here's a peak of what I remembered to capture :









Yep. TOTAL SUCCESS. 

We were blessed and had some great friends join us!! (Yes, there is another mom willing to load up without her husband and her little kids and come have a damn good time!!) We are already planning our next trip.... 

In about a week. 

I'm so thankful for Damon staying home and working tireless hours and through countless demands that affords me the luxury of taking trips with our children. It cannot be summed up into words how much this means to all of us. After 4 days, we all missed him!! We rushed down the mountain and when his truck hit the driveway, there was joy all around Thursday night! 

I hope everyone is enjoying their kids as much as I am this summer. Carry on folks <3

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It's rejuvenating just reading your post and seeing all those fun pictures.

    ReplyDelete