Friday, April 19, 2013

Science loves Spring!!

The change of season always brings about a serious love of science. It's the time in the world when the earth comes alive and we marvel and wonder that everything didn't die without the heat and shelter we need as humans. We praise green shoots that bring flowers and food. We admire birds and hopefully feel enthusiastic as we seek energy after a resting winter. The natural flow of the world just drives my kids to ask a million questions - and what home school mother wouldn't use this to her advantage?!

We're planting things left and right, raising baby chickens, baby goats, and studying water cycles. It's a very fluid study that follows their demands and expands far greater than I expect.

Have I mentioned I love Spring?!

Daunika, Aurora, Declan and me set out to full understand how the rain comes to be. Enter these nifty little bags of water, sealed of course, and sharpies. Now, Aurora wrote the cycle as Clouds > Rain > Water  and Daunika and I discussed it further and she wrote Condensation > Precipitation > Liquid form > Evaporation.



And of course, I made one for Declan to "experiment" with us. He was thrilled and in true Moose fashion, he held his own with asking his questions.

To further develop this - we heated up the bags with a hair dryer to create evaporation. Once enough evaporation had occurred  the water droplets became heavy and began to fall creating precipitation. The kids were THRILLED!!!

So, for hours, our kids ran around yelling "I can make RAIN, I can make real RAIN!!!!!" What a success. Getting kids excited about learning is amazing and Daunika can recite the cycle and explain it fairly in depth without skipping a beat because her learning was fun and that helped her really remember it. She wrote a beautiful journal entry about rain helping our earth too.

Letti is our remaining baby goat. She is so loving and free spirited. She is getting big fast too!

Our lettuces, despite complete and total neglect (literally!) they are surviving. We placed several seeds all in the planters and set them outside. I haven't covered them up because I wanted to see how they would fair honestly. It's so early in the season, I am seeing what a few seeds do in response to cold. So far, our peas are grumpy and only a few sprouted but our lettuce and spinach is rocking it!

I'm getting ready to move our chickens over into a new set up, I'll update soon loves!

No comments:

Post a Comment