Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Independence Day

Yes Yes Yes! This IS a Holiday that I will always celebrate. Unlike religious holidays that border on my moral compass - Independence Day WILL be celebrated with gusto forever in our little abode. 


Why? Because not celebrating is even scarier. 'The Answer to 1984 is 1776" - Few will truly understand that quote. I struggle myself to really understand our roots of this beautiful nation. I spent most of my childhood apathetic completely to patriotism. Why in the world would I pledge allegiance or serve a country that was failing me? Education was a complete joke where I grew up, and furthermore, I watched a 'system' of welfare that was designed to hinder not help. 


Sometime after having children I realized that I knew little about our constitution, our rights, our freedoms, our roots and foundation. While I cannot say that I'm anywhere close to an expert now at all - at least I am taking every step to constantly learn more about our founding fathers and the vision our nation was formed under. 


The above titles are just a few of the books I've read or am actively reading. Beyond reading - I've taken an active role in mentoring our children about their freedoms as well. 


It is absolutely fabulous - heres how the conversation with the kids unfolded:
Me: This day is important because a long long time ago some men founded our country
Daunika: thats Samerica right?
Me: AAAAAA-merica
Daunika: thats what I said
Me: Well, those men wanted to establish America so we could have a life of freedom and justice
Daunika: I like being free
Me: What do you like about your freedoms?
Daunika: I like movies
Me: Freedoms are kind of like choices you get to make
Daunika: I like when I get to pick what I want to eat, and when I want to see Joshua, and when I want to read books
Aurora: BOOKS! We read books! (as she runs to get them)


What a great conversation! Enjoyable certainly. 


Part of Independence Day has been turned into 'lets have an excuse to blow shit up' day. Seriously. And don't get me wrong - those explosives are pretty! I have enjoyed playing with many in my lifetime. Pyro? You betcha! 


Sunday, the 4th of July, we decided to make a family outting. Instead of wasting money on purchasing our own tiny fireworks, we tried something new this year! We made dinner, loaded up the cooler and the stuff for a picnic, and headed downtown to relax and enjoy the sunset while we waited for Boise's firework display in Ann Morrison Park. 


While I got absolutely no pictures of a single firework (camera taken to the car for fear of the sprinklers attacking us like they did the section next to us. hysterical stuff!) I did snap some photos of our lovely family before daylight was lost :)


Our gorgeous oldest kidlet - Daunika. Absolutely happy and enjoying her day! (yes, those poor leggings have seen their share of sidewalks, grass, and carpet - but they look exactly as they should - like a child loved them, wore them, and had FUN!)
Miss Aurora. Oh how the sun in her eyes pisses her off. She is so animated about it too. 
Holding up the younger end, our Moose :) What a HAPPY baby! Can I tell you how absolutely delightful it was to not have a single tear shred and he made it all the way until 11 pm! whoa. 
Our view of the mountains was beautiful! 
Moose and me had a great time hanging out and enjoying the evening! He's so snuggly.
This was hysterical. We had candy bars with us. One for each kiddo. The agreement was if you could get it open, you could have it. It was hysterical. Daunika took about 4 minutes to get hers open. Once she took her first bite, Aurora demanded hers opened. It was a good try. 

Our freedom to be a family, to chose if we want to blow explosives up or do nothing at all. I am so thankful for the opportunity to live this crazy, stressful, happy, and exciting roller coaster of life. I look forward to learning more about our countries foundation!

1 comment:

  1. Just catching up on your posting - don't know how I missed you had a blog until now. Rest assured, you are now in my Google Reader feed!

    Have you read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States? Another title you might find interesting.

    ReplyDelete