This blog is about my journey in life. We are on a little acre in the middle of subdivisions trying our best to live the good life. Our little home is a place we work, play, educate, and connect to the world around us - Trying each day to be the best version of ourselves no matter what comes.
Monday, November 2, 2015
Dear Lady at the Grocery Store
Dear Older Lady at the Grocery Store,
Thank you for trying to help me today. My sweet baby was indeed very determined to climb out of the cart screaming at the top of his lungs while my toddler was dumping an entire new pack of mints on the ground and my kindergartner was laughing hysterically at us.
What I couldn't say in that moment was how much I appreciated you offering to hold my baby, though I declined because he's a bit afraid of strangers at the moment. I wanted to embrace you and tell you how much you represent what is missing from the world - a village of compassionate and empathetic souls supporting each other. You smiled with laugh lines and laughed that all-too-knowing-laugh as you said "They really do grow so fast, you are doing great".
In that small moment of time, I was just trying to be a Mom. Nothing special, not a super hero or a wonder woman with a cape - just a mom in tune with her babies trying to hold it together as I braved both Costco and Winco back to back. I hope you weren't offended by my not handing my baby over. I know that my sweet baby would have just screamed loudly in protest and that would make my mama heart ache terribly. What I wish I could do though was slow down and embrace you for reaching out in such a gentle way. As I drove home, I just wanted to cry because I felt so much gratitude for what you represent to me in our community. You took my decline with class and in that moment you encouraged me both to know these precious babies are slipping through my fingers and you campaigned for my worth by asserting your sweet "you are doing great", even though I completely blew you off to focus on those crazy littles of mine.
So, darling older lady at the grocery store, don't give up on us young moms. We're in the trenches. We're weary and sometimes it feels like we can't ask for help. I beg you, keep reaching out to us - we need you even if we don't know how to accept the help in the moment!
Thank you compassionate soul, you really made an impact in my day and I feel an overwhelming love for you - a complete stranger who simply was kind.
Sincerely,
The Mom with the crying baby, the messy toddler and the goofy kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

On behalf of all "older ladies" who understand and offer help to young Mamas who are giving it their all...we thank you for your kind words, truly do know what you are going through and believe you and your family will all come out just fine in the end...no matter the ups and downs...just like we did. ;-) XO Michele
ReplyDeleteWhat a kind gesture from that mom! I love how you said that you desire a village of compassionate and empathetic souls supporting each other. I agree its what is missing too often in our world, but its beautiful when we get to see little glimpses of it.
ReplyDelete