Wednesday, October 30, 2013

These are the days

What do 18 women, 1 cabin, 3 days equal? 
A Mom's Retreat of course! 

What a weekend it was. Over the last 4 years, I am proud to look around me and realize the depth of the friendships I've developed. I am a social creature by nature and appreciate a healthy support network. I've attended many Mom's Retreats with these same women but this one was harder and not all at once. Many of us came to the retreat with full plates. Our burdens worn on our sleeves for others to see and as we were out of our safe and comfortable homes, we shared tears and laughter and love and true friendship. It wasn't the light and carefree retreat I was expecting, it was better. 


Let's not be TOO serious here. We were surrounded by amazing views. This is the empty resevoir that is Lake Cascade. While it's absolutely beautiful to look at from this point.. We kept walking on... 


But first we had to take some leaps of faith. I think we jumped over 5 of these irrigation channels in the field. But walking in a field isn't enough.... 


That might be us going through a fence to get INTO THE LAKE!


Woo hoo!! We made it. See all that sand? 


Inside the lake :)


Proof I was there too!

And of course.... We walked around a bit, which means we didn't get through the fence at the same point and had to find a different way over/through it to get back to our cabin... 


This time we went over the fence.... but not I. Nope. That fence pole looked like a nightmare to an overweight chick... 


Instead, I got to prove there ARE wild things in the trees up north. :)

I promise, it wasn't all dreary or deep, nor was it just light and fun. It was the perfect safe place to solidify friendships and make memories. We played hide and go seek in the middle of the night at a play ground, some hung upside down from their knees on the jungle gym. We hung out for FIVE hours in the hot tub the first night and talked and talked and talked. We had thought provoking devotionals and great food. Who are we kidding, we all probably had stomach aches too because we survived on carbs and laughter for the first day. And chocolate truffles from Costco that I must never remember again otherwise they are going to be a new addiction!!! There were silent down times. Places to tuck away and read or knit or just be. There was one and one talk-time and large group gatherings. There was laughter and love and just everything I needed. 

I'm so glad we went. It was absolutely perfect. Even in the imperfections of it, the depth of some of our burdens to be shared with each other. Sometimes it was harrowing to listen to the pains of another. Sometimes it was raw to expose your own. It also was the greatest joy to hold each other up in those vulnerable moments. I really have the best friends in the entire world. 


Heading home from this weekend in a car with a friend of mine was the perfect amount of silence and reflection. I appreciate the ability to sit in silence these days. While it is indeed harder for me than others, I recognize the growth it symbolizes. Silence is sometimes scary but oh so needed for my ever-busy soul. 

What a great Mothers Retreat. I look forward to the next already. 

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for sharing your beautiful words! Love you to the moon and back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful. It was everything you said and more. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete