Fear not, breaks don't mean we were lazy! In fact, it's quite the opposite.
My awesome kiddos helped on the gardening front by painting beautiful marker rocks. I love them! They are bright and colorful, a great art project for our resident artist, Daunika. She really excels at meaningful projects and finds enjoyment in helping others. I love her helpful spirit.
Meet Diamond, Clover and Jack. These lovely goats are 'on-loan'. Diamond is a wonderful mother and is a delight to have around. Her littles are warming up to us and we're thrilled to have them.
Fear not, our other goats are still around. In fact, while snapping the picture of Diamond and her kids, Mama decided my jeans were the perfect flavor to enjoy. Lettie thought better than eating my pants. Thank you.
Can I just shout from the rooftops how much I love when fresh ingredients are readily available at my fingertips? It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that I'm in love with my herb garden. This lovely garlic and fresh basil went into lasagna lovingly made for a friend who was injured. I love being able to bring a meal to those around me. It's the ultimate community. I have always been so incredibly thankful for those who have helped me so much while in need with meals and extra hands. Giving a meal to others is a bit of prayer, a bit of kitchen magic and a lot of heart all in one act. Wonderful isn't it?
Our domestic old ornament... I mean, our lovely cat, Livvy, is enjoying every bit of sun she can. This is a very typical way to find her at any given moment.
Lani and Daddy here in a quick snap shot before he left for work. She is a little sun spot that takes intense amounts of energy and is definitely a Daddys girl. It's adorable.
My mom is having very serious medical issues right now. She is immobile most of the time due to severe adema and I've witnessed her frustration, her anger, her sorrow at her inability to do anything she wants. This lovely tray of veggies has been her project. I'm thrilled to see her excited to start plants for us right now. I'm grateful for the plants of course but I'm so incredibly thankful for her joy and her overcoming her lack of mobility right now to keep up with this lovely project. I stopped by the other day to find her not in her usual place in the living room but sitting outside in the sunshine with her gardening pots and plants. The look on her face was hopeful and I just pray she gets well soon.
While I'm jabbering on and on about life... I should introduce our newest members of our little homestead. These lovely turkeys are so fun! Who knew?! I am going to be the first to admit I was a bit nervous about turkeys. They seem scarier than chickens. But honestly, they are so much friendlier and seem much more intelligent. I'm very happy to add them to our home and have high hopes to hatch our eggs from these lovelies. This week I have plans to wrangle my husband into building me a hoop house for them to enjoy.
With lovely eggs like these collected today, don't worry, this homestead won't likely ever be without chickens again. I'm so incredibly thankful for this patch of earth we call ours right now. It's given us so many great experiences and taught us so much.
So, why the 'disconnect'? Well, with all these wonderful things going on around me, I find it harder and harder to stay up to date with ten million groups, advocating for every other thing in the world that I really do believe in... but I realized that instead of blabbing about all the things I believed in, I actually had it in front of me to grasp. It's scary to step back from all the things that keep you busy. The stillness is vulnerable and wonderful and scary and exciting. It's never truly still around here - with 39 chickens, 5 turkeys, 6 goats, 4 children, life on call as a doula, a bustling business and a community of friends I count as family, really - it is almost never still here. The stillness I speak of is that of what fills the soul instead of my smart phone. It's the trip to the library alone that fills my cup, or the learning of new skills with wonderful communities all around me to teach me if I would just open my soul.
So, perhaps I'll miss the next months of playdates, marches or all sorts of things that I would enjoy. What I will be doing is crawling in bed earlier, reading more, knitting more, laughing more and filling my soul with these littles that bless me daily with the title Mom. I'll be at Eagle Island, in the garden, at the park, the back yard bonfires and early morning hikes. I'll be busy, just differently so. I hope to reconnect with you all but to mostly reconnect myself with the glory that is gifted to me every morning I wake.
No comments:
Post a Comment