Sunday, March 31, 2013

Folks, it was in your back yard.


Can I hear a AMEN!? Joel Salatin is a great inspiration to my soul. In the wake of hearing that H.R. 993 passed silently without a fight, I am battling being defeated. Another name for H.R. 933 is the Monsanto Protection Act, it's a rider in the bill that slipped through congress while my heart sank watching it. 

Well, there's two things I can do - I can bitch, moan, and whine about it. Or I can DO SOMETHING myself. Therein lays the power I want to spread - This idea that food comes from stores and that we are helpless whimps that have to whine all the time like spoiled children is complete shit. We ARE a beautiful, powerful, hard working, dedicated species. We aren't mindless nor helpless. Let me encourage each of you to enact change. Start small. 

Well, beyond my crazy activism by taking control of our lives - here's a peak into what else is going on around here :)

That gorgeous piece of man swinging that friggin sledge hammer would be my awesome Mr. A la Carte is certainly growing!

Aurora waited almost a full 7 weeks for her birthday party but had a BLAST! Such a fun group of ladies came to celebrate with her. 

Other than a birthday party, there was one thing she had asked for : her ears pierced. So, we said YES! This lovely 5 year old girl is sporting a lovely pair of purple stars now. We did them in front of her friends, which cured them of wanting their ears pierced (nice side effect, your welcome mothers!) and made her so brave. She looks in the mirror about every 5 minutes or so to stare and admire. She is SO proud of them!

The barn fridge is full of life these days. Between eggs fresh from our hens to milk directly from the farmer, it's a bustling little place! We've been blessed to use our barn as a drop point for this milk for not just our family but several other families! 

Those are organic yukon gold potatoes starting in my window sill. The fully developed one in the back is a yam :) Oh SO excited spring is here!

And what would 70 degree weather bring but a baby in a new white dress enjoying the dirt? 

Yep, REALLY enjoying the dirt. Bath time is a daily must now. 

All this playing in the dirt lead to Declan getting his hair chopped off last week. It was getting long, which he loved, but I was hating trying to tackle him to brush it and it was impossible to keep him any where close to clean. This should be much easier to shampoo... 

That's the back of my suburban the day I picked up Daunika's girl scout order! She rocked it indeed :)



This week I have hopes to plant strawberries, host Easter dinner, play with my kids, deliver a mountain of girl scout cookies, make soap, plan a biology class, and fully enjoy my life. 

Blessed Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment