Sunday, August 12, 2012

Busy mama. Happy mama.


The above picture was taken by Rachel over at Portraits by Rachel. Miss Kalani and me had our pictures taken for world breastfeeding week. She's done some awesome shoots for nursing mamas (actually, she does all sorts of portraits - check her out!)! I loved being able to participate in this wonderful little mini-shoot for breastfeeding awareness. Nursing did not come easy at all my first go and I am thankful I stuck it out and changed the outlook of our parenting for each of our children!

What's funny about this photo shoot is I completely and totally forgot about it. I actually was having a pity party of a morning about being a woman and how men certainly didn't have to deal with cramps and they should and and and... Well, to say the least, I was GRUMPY. And imagine my surprise when I realized I was in my sweat pants and scrubby clothes, and here arrives lovely Rachel. Luckily I was able to jump in the shower and in about 10 minutes I was ready for these pictures.


Last week we did a hula hoop making party with our homeschool co-op group! It was a blast to watch the kids decorate their hoops and us mothers made some too. This was all inspired by Erika at Inspired Mama Musings. She helped our family make hula hoops several months ago and I so ADORE them. I hoop with my kids (or without!) daily. It's really helped my fitness in my core and it's something that's simple, fun, and cheap!

I've found all sorts of ways to incorporate hula hooping into my life. I take them with me on occasion to the parks while I watch the kids play. I've learned arm exercises. I have a super heavy one with water in it even! I love how fun it is :)


Kalani napping is a thing that is pretty elusive these days. She doesn't seem particularly grumpy, but she's somehow decided napping is for normal babies, and of course no one in this house is normal. I cannot believe we're nearing 8 months. She is so mobile and fun! She's completely in love with cold apple slices and nectarines from the fridge too! She squeals with delight at the sight of our chickens coming near her and her favorite place is tucked in my arms safe and sound.


Declan is usually the first one awake in the house, sometimes I beat him to it, sometimes not. A few days ago I got to enjoy 2 solid hours alone in the morning with him. He is such an amazing son. I cannot imagine my life without him. This lovely Thursday morning we decided to collect eggs together from our barn and make some breakfast together. He was super excited to help crack those eggs into a bowl and he wanted so badly to flip the french toast - heck yes I let him! He has amazing control and dedication to learning new tasks and takes his responsibility seriously often. It's not all sunshine and rainbows - later that morning he found the costco sized maple syrup container on the counter and well, he tried to drink it. While trying to drink the syrup, it poured all over him. And the floor. And the stool he was standing on. And the cabinet. And.... well, I assure you, I'm well practiced with his messes now and I wasn't even mad in the least. I cleaned it up and moved on. Whoa. That takes effort to sail through that amount of stickiness without yelling! *pats herself on the back!*


Meet Virigina Bobro from Birthing From Within. This lovely picture was taken at the end of a 3 day, intensive "Introduction" workshop. It was life changing. I have about 3 months to decide to accept this new path or let it go for now. Tick tock.
So much about this workshop I understood on a deeper level than the obvious "doula" work - it wasn't just about holding a space for each individual family, it was about the deeper meaning of lifes work, your journey through it and I'm so incredibly thankful I was open to really listening to what was offered. I know that even a few short years ago this powerful workshop wouldn't have sunk in the same. I'm so thankful for the growth and openness to light in my soul. It's interesting - many people have asked if I 'enjoyed' the work shop... Yes, and No. While I completely know it was put in my path for a reason, it was very intense and left me sleepless for many nights. I have jotted down about a million pages in my journal since taking the workshop and am carefully plotting about a million new books to buy too! Oh so much to process! So, YES, I love what being open to really listening has taught me through the workshop and NO, it was intense and deeply meaningful which will take time to process and sink in. I'm feeling so humbled to be around such wonderful women, birth workers and souls. Inspiring.


While not working on intense, deep and meaningful workshops - there are the little things in life that are so joy filled too. Like waking up in the morning and finding these lovely eggs. And doing again the next day, and the next. Collecting eggs has become something to squabble over between kiddos because it's so exciting to wake up and feel like Easter egg hunting! I'm sure the new-ness factor will wear off soon, but taking bets on how many eggs will be in each nesting box is FUN!


And of course, while I am busy and happy all at once - it wouldn't be the Huberty homestead without a whiteboard full of ideas. This lovely white board is a small summary of the habits I've been studying. I'm deeply committed to understanding why people do the things they do out of 'habit'. I've been learning about cues, emotional rewards, societies media, etc etc etc. It's really helped to look at the keystone habits of our home and refine what we need to change. I'm not so vain that I don't know at any given moment there is huge room for improvement - but often I wonder how, where, when does the cycle begin. How do you start a new cycle?

Well, all this planning and learning about habits has lead me to a 22 lb weight loss in just a few short months. I am stronger, more alive, happier. But I have an active interest in how to make this change carry over into many aspects of our lives. It's working, but slow. I'm studying mentoring, coaching, habit changing, and peaceful lifestyles all at once. It makes for a very happy but very full life. Half of the nights I collapse into bed  full of ideas, thoughts, dreams, hopes.

It's a busy busy life around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment